martes, 10 de septiembre de 2013

If there is anything you'd want to do for a lifetime, what would it be?

You get that question a lot, don't you think? Sometimes because it gets really boring, eventually stressful as well. But in the end, whether you like it or not, you must think about it to make the biggest decisions of your life. It all starts when you are young, when you have no idea all the work it takes to the career you might choose, but you just want it because it's what you like and seems cool. Everything changes when you grow up though, all the responsibilities of being an adult. But even then, I think that you should never eliminate your dreams, what you want do, what makes you happy and that and that only will be your ideal job. 

I might be too greedy when it comes to this topic, but whenever someone asks me something related to this, two pictures appear immediately in my head, and I'll take the time to explain both of them if the words accompany me.


1.     Social Anthropologist

It’s a very wide range of jobs one could have as a Social Anthropologist, pretty much everything that you can imagine that the contemporary human being does. But in my case, I’d love to work with the LGBTQ group. You’d need a lot of empathy, good speech, know how to investigate and tolerate what you learn, know what and when to ask and also ability to approach people easily and be trust-worthy. From the skills that I just listed I think I’d fit the job pretty well, since I feel like I have those abilities, and also the passion to learn all the stuff that could come out from this particular subject. And most important, the will to help the people involve with all the difficult situations that community has to go through just for being ‘different than normal’. When it comes to finding this sort-of job, I think it might be quite difficult, but I’m not sure since I don’t have first-hand experience or know people that work with this topic. But I think that says a lot, maybe there aren’t a lot people that work in this area, maybe because Chile is still so narrow-minded when it comes to this community, just now starting to consider the fact that, yeah, they ‘maybe’ could have the same rights as straight people. Nevertheless, because of that same reason, a lot of jobs that are related could be created in this period of time since it’s needed.



2.     Disney Employee.

Really different from the last one, is it? But I guess this is my childhood dream that I’ve had the pleasure to maintain throughout the years. In the area I’d specifically like to work, it’d be either being one of the characters or just a guide of one the parks at Disney World, any of the four main ones. I had the luck to confirm how awesome and perfect it’d be in 2007, when I traveled with my family. About the skills, you’d need to be a very nice person with a lot of patience, that can handle both grown up and little kids. Know how to work under pressure with a smile on your face always. You have to maintain your best face in that work, because it could be your 100th day, but for the kid that goes for the first time and maybe never again, it’ll be a memory he or she will never forget. Talking about my skills, I think I’d be able to take part of this job, since I love making people happy, even with the little things. I tend to be a giver, not really a receiver. And to think that I can be part of this amazing experience for someone else, the satisfaction would be immense. If we change the topic to the difficulty of finding this job, it is, very. Starting from the fact that there are like 5 Disney-related places in the world and in only 3 or 4 different countries, so you’re already battling with people from all over the world trying to go and work there. Also, they try to get exchange students from specific areas, so that narrows the chance by a lot.

Who knows, maybe if I visit this blog entry in around 5 years, I’ll have one of those jobs in my résumé.

3 comentarios:

  1. It is very interesting, it is a little sad that I had not a dream in my childhood... But well, since I'm 17 years old my dream always have been to get drunk in Disneyland and to have a photo with Mickey Mouse (and run away after giving him a karate kick in the head). By the way, I had not idea that LGBTQ meant "Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender, Queer", we learn new things everyday...

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Ouwwww, you're so right about being happy all the time in Disneyland, that really change my mind, but on the other side made me felt so bad, because when I use to work in Happyland, I think that just in the first 2 weeks I was with a big smile on the face, but in the next 2 months I was stressed about hearing the same questions of the people, and the same stressful kids with the same problems that they, for one extrange reason, thoght I could resolve... mmm but on the other side... I don't like kids, I believe that if I work again in happyland I wouldn't change at all I would be such an angry woman just like in the summer (maybe I can take my revenge of those kids). Yo have a gift if you can be happy all the time with a lot of loud mouthed kids, I admire you!

    ResponderEliminar